Recipe│Nutty Oatmeal Porridge

This is not the type of porridge I normally have; I actually like savory oatmeal porridge a bit more...interesting, right? Haha. This recipe was inspired first by the green apple! And then all the rest followed afterwards. I know there are so many similar sweet oatmeal porridge recipes out there, but I still would like to share mine because I really like the mild kick from the acidity the green apple brings. (中文)

Ingredients (Yield 1 serving):
1/2 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
A pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp nut butter (I used peanut butter)
1/4 green apple, sliced or diced
A pinch of toasted sesame seeds

Instructions:
1. Heat 1 cup of water in a pot. Once it comes to a boil, add oatmeal and cook until thickened. Stir consistently.
2. Add milk and cook to preferred consistency. Add more milk if needed. Keep stirring.
3. Turn heat low then add maple syrup and salt. Mix well.
4. Add nut butter and stir until fully melted and combined.
5. Remove from heat and serve with green apple. Garnish with black sesame seeds.

Notes:
1. Substitute milk to any plant milk as preferred.
2. Substitute maple syrup to honey or sugar.
3. Add some nuts for extra crunch as preferred.
4. Buy toasted black sesame seeds if you are lazy like me. If using untoasted sesame seeds, heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the seeds to the dry pan. Mix in a little bit of white sesame seeds makes it easier to see the doneness. Stir and let it toast until white sesame seeds turn golden. About 4 to 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them because they can burn quickly.

I hope you give this a try and let me know if you like adding the green apple. It's always good to hear some feedback! :)


Check more recipes: Click here

Follow me on Instagram:asteffyo

Follow my food account:stefanii.eats

 

 

Comments