Series│Indian Matchmaking

I actually have finished watching this show a while ago. I had a strong feeling to write something about my thoughts, and it obviously took me some (a lot of) time to complete this post. Lol. (中文)

I found this reality show randomly on Netflix's recommendations. It was very easy to watch; there are only 8 episodes in the first season and about 50 minutes for each episode. I finished it in 3 days. I think it is a good choice for a relaxing weekend.

As seen from the picture, Sima is the reputable matchmaker from India whose clients are all over the U.S. and India. She flies to places to help her clients find their perfect partners whether they are super picky, confused, or even the mothers were way in a hurry for a daughter in law. She not only does matchmaking, but also gives advice on the expectations or attitudes towards marriage/relationships. In my opinion, her thoughts are leaning more towards to the traditional side. Besides the fact that she believes in fortune telling, she seems to give the advice to women that they need to compromise for a happier marriage/relationship. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against her way of thinking, I just think it is traditional.

Alright, my thoughts. Before I start, I would like to know what kind of person you are when it comes to pursuing love? Are you the kind of person who can't be single and constantly looking for love/dates? Are you the type who just likes to let it happen organically? Or are you just so in love with being single? Lastly, do you let your parents make the decision for you and arrange your marriage? 

My thoughts are not as relevant to the stories in the show, but were inspired by those characters who think they need to get settled at a certain age because the society shows them it is the right path to go and most of their friends are on that way. Peer pressure in short. I believe it exists everywhere in the world and it is hard to escape. I feel like as a girl from east Asia, the pressure is even more obvious. Concerning messages from parents, relatives, friends, and even neighbors. Some of them are more worried than myself that I'm still single and they want to arrange some dates for me when I really don't care for it. 

You guessed it, I'm the type of person who likes to let it happen organically. Funny enough, I used to believe that I'm a girl who cannot live without a romantic relationship when I was little. However, years and years later, I've realized that I'm at my happiest when I am able to live my life and fully enjoy each and every status I am in whether it is single or in a relationship. I remembered it was one year after breaking up with one of my ex's and I was still single. One of my good friends asked me: Why haven't you got a new boyfriend? I told her: I'm actually really happy with how I am now. I think it is important to enjoy each status I'm in. She replied: Okay, whatever you want.

Yes, whatever I want. Whatever YOU want! We are all supposed to experience life the way we want. I'm not saying that following the social norms is wrong. Nothing is wrong whether you want to pursue your own experience or do what the society expects you to do. I just think that we shouldn't be bothered too much by being the different ones in our groups of friends. It's not easy, but we should learn to stand strong and be ourselves. After all this is our own lives, and we've only got one for this lifetime. You enjoy chasing love, go for it! You like it organic, let it come to you when it is time and forget about what other peoples' worries are. You love a good single life, be it and focus on your goals and dreams. You decide to do what your parents tell you to do, do it and make it work. And for all of us, stop telling our loving friends constantly that they SHOULD go on dates because we THINK they should. 

Peer pressure is there to show us there is an option to live life, but it is not the only choice we have. Enjoy the status we are in and learn something from it. There is no right or wrong on how you'd like to get a relationship. Stand strong and just be YOU.

I'm wishing you a brilliant and unique life. :)


 

 Follow me on Instagram: asteffyo

 

Comments