Beauty│2020 Q4 Empties - Products I've Used Up!

The 2020 Q4 empties has finally here! Since I moved during Q4 in 2020, this post consists 2 parts: before I moved and after I moved. Let's check them out! (中文)

Cleansers and body care

1. Pond's - Cleansing Oil  

This is seriously my favorite cleansing oil. I love it so much that I brought it from Taiwan to Canada! I've been using it for more than 10 years now and it has never failed me. I see this cleanser as the cheaper version of the DHC cleansing oil. I'd say the DHC one performs slightly better, but the price of this Pond's cleanser is unbeatable especially when it is on sale. I always stuck up a few bottles of this.

2. Dr. Teal's - Foaming Bath with Pure Epsom Salt Eucalyptus & Spearmint

I love this scent so much! I have tried the epsom salt and body lotion (Review). This is the third product I've tried from this range. A little bit goes a long way. The foams are creamy and last quite a long time. However if you soak for too long, it does feel a bit soapy. I would still go for the epsom salt because the scent lingers way longer than any other products. I am still on the hunt for the body wash which I still can't find it in Vancouver, or it costs higher than a normal body wash.

3. The Body Shop - Zesty Lemon Shower Gel

This is their seasonal product in summer 2020. I loved its lemony scent; very refreshing for summer time. It cleansed my skin without leaving it dry or slimy. I really liked it, but it's limited edition.

4. The Body Shop - Zesty Lemon Body Yogurt

Same as above, I loved the scent really much so I bought 3 bottles of this body yogurt (Review). However I am not used to the texture of body yogurt, it is too light to my liking and I felt like it didn't moisturize my skin the way I would normally like. I went through 3 bottles so fast. I really hoped that they came out with body butter or body cream of the same scent.

5. Softsoap - Juicy Pomegranate & Mango Moisturizing Body Wash

I liked the juicy and fruity scent of this body wash. It is a regular body wash that gets my body clean and refreshed. I might repurchase it if I was left without other products that interest me haha. 

6. L'oreal - Smooth Intense Shampoo

This is a really nice shampoo. I have sensitive scalp so I am quite picky about shampoos. This one cleanses my scalp and hair really gently and leaves my hair soft and hydrated without irritating my scalp. I really liked it!

7. L'oreal - Extraordinary Oil Silky Softness & Shine 

I have seen many people talk about this product and really love it. I had high hope for this hair oil. At the begging it worked really well for my hair, but after a while as my hair grew longer, it lost its magic. I would apply it to my hair while it's damp and once I blow dried my hair, it gets dried and not as smooth. I had to reapply it afterwards. I am disappointed though.

8. Neutrogna - Sheer Zinc Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50 

I can't remember where I got the recommendation from that it is a good mineral sunscreen even as a makeup base. I have tried it under makeup multiple times and it has peeled every single time. I ended up using it for my body and couldn't finish it before I moved. I just discarded it and will stick to chemical sunscreens that I know would work well for me.   

Makeup items

9. MAC - Prep + Prime Fix+

Pretty much every beauty YouTuber has talked about MAC fix+ at some point. I really like it and will think about purchasing one when I have more chance to put on makeup lol. I like using it as setting spray as it really melts my makeup into my skin and takes away the powdery feel from my face. I do tend to use powder foundation most of the time so I could really see the magic of fix+.

10. Avene - Couvrance High Tolerance Mascara Black

I had no idea that Avene makes mascaras. This was a gift with purchase a while ago. I did not like this mascara though as expected. It did nothing to my lashes. I would suggest this is for those who have full and curly lashes and just want to look a bit put together.

Skincare products

11. La Roche-Posay - Hydraphase Intense Mask  

I have been loving this hydrating mask for many years, but it seemed to disappear for a while. I wasn't able to find it in Taiwan, Paris, and Vancouver until last year I finally got it in a local drugstore. It's very soothing and hydrating; I love using it especially when my skin is irritated. If you have trouble finding this one, I recommend Soothing Radiance Mask from Avene; it works just as nicely! I love them both equally!

12. Kiehl's - Turmeric & Cranberry Seed Mask

I have stopped using physical exfoliator many years ago. This exfoliants in this mask feel a bit rough, so I used it to scrub my body. It worked fine but I would not use it on my face.

13. The Ordinary - Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution

It's a cheap yet effective chemical exfoliator. I mostly used it on my body where the skin tends to get build-ups or ingrown hair. It really helped. I didn't use it on my face because I use other acid products for my face. This is super affordable and a little goes a long way. Good purchase if you are looking for a product in this form.

14. Drunk Elephant - T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Night Serum 

This is one of its superstar products from Drunk Elephant. What else can I say? It definitely worth its hype. It's very effective and makes my skin very smooth. Please start slow when you first use any acid products and then gradually increase the frequency of application to prevent irritation. This is VERY important!

15. The Ordinary - 100% L-Ascorbic Acid Powder 

I've always been interested in vitamin C powders. This one is very finely milled. I think I used it in a wrong way as vitamin C is water-soluble but I mixed it with rose hip seed oil haha. I didn't find it very effective though. Maybe I was doing it wrong and I may give it another try in the future.  

16. Origins - High-Potency Night-A-Mins Resurfacing Cream 

This cream was recommended by Kathleen Light years ago. I used up a few bottles of it. It contains AHA, but it doesn't dry my skin. In fact it is very moisturizing. My skin feels smoother after using it. If you have oily skin they also make an oil-free version that you can try it out! 

17. Lip Smacker - Pixar Cube Keychains Buzz Lightyear

As someone who grew up in Asia, I had this thought that Lip Smacker is a staple for kids and teens in North America. Correct me if I am wrong lol. When I found this one I was so excited and I paid for it right away. The result was very disappointing, it dried my lips. The more I used it the drier my lips got. It was horrible that I used less than 1/3 of it and I gave up. :(

Oral care

18. Colgate - Optic White Toothpaste

It's just a toothpaste I purchased because it was on sale. My requirement for a toothpaste is not high, as long as it gets my teeth clean and comfortable with an affordable price I'm sold. 

19. Colgate - Alcohol Free Mouthwashes 

These are very nice mouthwashes. They are both alcohol free, do not stain my teeth, leave my mouth feel comfortable and not too spicy with the minty flavour. I can't stand when a mouthwash stains my teeth or makes my mouth dry. These two are pretty standard and I like them both. 

Now moving on to the products I have used up after I moved:

Cleansers and body care

20. Kiehl's - Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil Herbal Cleanser  

I LOVE this cleanser! It's very gentle, effective and has a comfortable herbal scent. The texture is like a light cream. It leaves my skin clean but not dry. I have already finished a second tube after this one. Ahh, I love it so much!

21. TRESemme - Dlean & Natural Gentle Hydration with Vitamin C & E Conditioner 

I got it because it was on sale lol. I don't have a high standard for conditioners. The scent is nice and it does make my hair soft and hydrated. I like it.  

22. The Body Shop - Juicy Pear Softening Body Butter

I don't think it is still available. I got it at clearance at the outlet last summer. The scent is very sweet and it lingers on the skin for a while after application. However the texture is probably the hardest amongst all the body butters I have tried from The Body Shop (and I have tried MANY of their body creams/butters). Not that I don't like it, but it just takes a bit more time and effort to really melt it on the skin and apply it evenly.  

Skincare products

23. Avene - Care for Sensitive Lips

I got this because I wanted to spend enough to get the gift with purchase haha. It is very nice, gentle and hydrating to the lips. However the packaging is the only thing I didn't like. It broke so easily and I left it at home most of the time. For its packaging I probably would not repurchase it since there are many other options I would like to try. I like the texture but I just can't with its packaging.

24. L'oreal - Revitalift Hydrating Smoothing Serum 

Got this at clearance for like CAD$10 which was super cheap! The consistency is a little thick but it's not sticky on the skin. It hydrates my skin quite nicely but the issue is the scent. Wow, it's way too fragranced that I felt like I was applying hair gel to my face every time I used it. Luckily the scent did not broke me out and I would get it again if I found it at clearance haha. But if you are sensitive to strong fragrance then I would not recommend you trying this one.

25. DHC - Retino A Essence

I mentioned this product in my last empties post. This time I did use it very religiously but I didn't see any significant results though. I probably won't repurchase it since there are many retino products I am aiming to try.  

26. Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream    

I don't think I need to talk too much about this facial cream. It was mentioned in my last empties post and I've already used up a new bottle of it after this one haha. It's a staple when it comes to moisturizer. This winter it's not very cold here in Vancouver, but it's brutally dry. I had to mix this cream with some rose hip seed oil to provide enough miniaturization to my skin though, but I still love how simple and gentle it is!

27. Biossance - Squalane + Tea Tree Balancing Oil 

Lol the bottle is so worn off. I like to use this oil to prevent any future breakouts. I brought it to Taiwan last year for my vacation in case of any breakouts due to the weather difference. It was humid and hot where I was traveling to and I still used it in my night routine. It serves my skin very well. I do though prefer the Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil; it feels more soothing to my skin.

28. The Ordinary - 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil

I've used up a few bottles of this and I also brought one to Taiwan to my mom. We both love it. It is good quality and very affordable. I can't say enough good things about it and I am using a new bottle already.

Alright, I've finished talking about all the empties in Q4 2020! There are quite some products haha. In short, my favorite new find is definitely the Kiehl's Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil Herbal Cleanser. My least favorite is the Lip Smacker Buzz Lightyear lip balm, what a disappointment!

What have you tried lately that you loved or disliked? Let me know and I may try some!

 

Follow me on Instagram: asteffyo

Follow my food Instagram: stefanii.eats



Comments