Beauty│Essence I Love Extreme Waterproof Volume Mascara

Ever since L'oreal Lash Paradise mascara has lost its magic to my lashes, I have been looking for a waterproof and smudge-free drugstore mascara, but nothing has I found. Because I redeemed my Sephora points for mascara from Lancome and there's not much chance to put on make up when I have been staying at home most of the time, it takes extra long time to finish a tube of mascara. I'd ask myself to put on some makeup every time I went for groceries which is only a 10-minute walk from my place lol. (中文)

Until recently my Lancome mascara has gradually dried up and about to finish, I went back for a hunt for a new mascara. It's been quite a while that I have seen many YouTubers raving about Essence mascaras: long-lasting, smudge-free and super affordable. I immediately decided to give it a try! And then here comes the second problem...there are way too many choices form their range and every YouTuber recommended different ones, so I randomly picked this I Love Extreme Waterproof Volume Mascara. I always prefer waterproof mascara because mascaras tend to smudge on my undereye.

This is how the bristle looks like. It's on the bigger side in my opinion, I have Asian eyes, you know. I am so concerned that it'd poke my eye if I'm not being careful enough when applying, haha!

This time I am making a comparison by applying Lancome Grandiose mascara and topped with Hourglass Caution on my left eye, and on the right I applied Essence Waterproof Volume Mascara.

This is what it looks like with 1 coat of mascara. The consistency of essence mascara is lighter so my lashes still look curled whereas Lancome mascara is very volumising with a thicker texture so my lashes weigh down a tiny bit; Hourglass Caution is a lot drier then I have expected and it does not effect my lashes much.

Essence: difference between 1 and 2 coats. It's actually a bit volumizing with 2 coats, lashes also remain pretty curled.

Lancome+Hourglass: lashes look very voluminous, but the end of outer half of the lashes look a bit weigh down. I like how prominent they make my lower lashes look.
 

I used an old lash curler to curl my lashes again once they were all dried.

This is how it looks right after the second curl. The essence side looks more lengthened and the other side looks more voluminous. 

 

This is the look with glasses on. My lashes still stand out pretty well. (Yes, I do wear glasses on a daily basis because I'm short eye-sighted and my eyes are too dry to wear contacts every day.)

5 hours later. Both sides of the lashes have kind of weighed down a bit, especially on the side where I applied high-end mascaras.

90 minutes of workout later. It smudgs on the high-end side! On the Essence side it still holds pretty well. (Whaaaaattt??)


Removal (Essence): I always use the micellar water from Bioderma to remove eye makeup and lip color, but it doesn't work on this particular mascara! I had to rub it (very gently) with an oil cleanser to have it gone. However it is quite easy to remove with an oil based cleanser, so it doesn't bother me that much.


Removal (Lancome+Hourglass): It's very easy to remove within a few seconds!


Conclusion: Essence Waterproof Volume Mascara won! Whether it's the price, water-proof or longevity. The only two things that are a bit of not so good are its big bristle and it can't be removed with a water-based cleanser. Overalll it's a good mascara for its price, I paid less than CAD6. The texture is light-weight and it keeps the curls for longer, but the bristle makes it easy to mess up on the upper and undereyes, I had to be careful while applying it. It also takes a bit longer to dry so if you touched the eyelids with it you have to wait a few more minutes before removing it with a Q-tip, otherwise you'll get a black smudge on the skin right away lol. Lastly, it is very waterproof, but I always use an oil cleanser to remove my makeup, to me it saves an extra step to remove my makeup!

I actually quite like this mascara. I just have to be more patient and careful when using it. After using it for some time, I am now able to avoid messing my eyelids and when it happens, it's only a tiny part. I just wait until I finish all my makeup and come back to remove it with a Q-tip. No one can really tell what has just happened haha. 

Click here to view the product if you are interested.

That is all for this review. Do you recommend any Essence mascara? Let me know!



Follow my Instagram: asteffyo

Follow my food Instagram: stefanii.eats


Comments